In a shocking turn of events, a major incident was declared in South Wales after a deafening explosion was heard, followed by a massive fire on an industrial estate. The building in question is now at risk of collapsing, according to firefighting authorities. Although there are no reports of serious injuries, one person remains unaccounted for. As a precautionary measure, roads around Severn Road in Treforest have been closed. People were urged to stay away from the area, and hospitals were put on high alert. The situation has since calmed down, and the alert has been lifted.
Late on Wednesday evening, Deputy Chief Fire Officer Dewi Rose provided an update on the incident. The explosion occurred at Mindset Gym, located in Rizla House on Severn Road. Firefighters swiftly responded to multiple reports of the explosion and discovered that the commercial premises were completely engulfed in flames. The building, a large multi-use two-story facility, is now in imminent danger of collapsing. The intensity of the fire is nothing short of remarkable.
Scott Yorath, who works at Petwise near the location of the incident, recounted the terrifying experience. He had finished his shift at 5:30 PM, but his friend remained on the premises. According to Yorath, his friend witnessed the explosion and saw the metal roller shutters being blown off the building. Yorath described the scene as something out of a movie, an event that makes your heart race faster than it should. The sheer number of emergency service vehicles that have descended upon Treforest is unparalleled in Yorath’s lifetime.
Karl Johnson, a local councillor, reported that the front of the building has been obliterated by the explosion. Additionally, a nearby car dealership may also have been affected. The gravity of the situation prompted the deployment of over 15 police cars and 10 ambulances, with support from the fire service.
A Community in Awe
Residents in Rhondda Cynon Taf were stunned by the explosion and subsequent fire. According to GTFM, a local radio station, a listener reported hearing a tremendous explosion that triggered the inferno. Witnesses recounted hearing a massive bang that shook nearby houses, leaving them in disbelief. Jonny Foxhall, the owner of a nearby music venue called Green Rooms, rushed outside after feeling the shockwave from the blast. He witnessed a thick cloud of smoke and an ominous orange glow emanating from above the treeline, followed closely by flames. The shockwave and subsequent spectacle left Foxhall in awe, an experience he had never encountered before.
Impact on Transportation
The incident not only had an impact on the surrounding area but also affected local transportation. Bus operator Stagecoach South Wales confirmed that its 132 and 120 services were unable to serve Rhydfelin and Hawthorn due to the ongoing incident. This disruption in public transportation further exacerbated the challenges faced by the community.
Concern and Caution
As news of the incident spread, Heledd Fychan, a Welsh Senedd member for South Wales Central, expressed her deep concern over the images and reports coming in. She pleaded with the public to adhere to the warnings and avoid the affected area. The aftermath of such a significant incident will undoubtedly come with its fair share of challenges for the community, but with caution and cooperation, they will overcome this difficult chapter.
The explosion and subsequent fire in South Wales have left the community in shock. The tragic incident has put the affected building in danger of collapsing and has caused significant disruption to the area. Eyewitnesses have shared their harrowing experiences, emphasizing the magnitude of the explosion and the impact it had on the surroundings. With the support of emergency services and the resilience of the community, South Wales will navigate through this crisis and emerge stronger.